Lead team of exempt and non-exempt service staff in the overall management of a residential dining unit in full compliance with all food, occupational safety rules and regulations and customer service expectations.
- Ensures high standards are consistently met via the implementation of all HUDS and University quality assurance policies and procedures related to food, sanitation, equipment and facility maintenance and management, safety, etc.
- In collaboration with the Chef Production Manager (CPM), implement and monitor FoodPro menu and inventory management system including, but not limited to: ensuring cost control and mitigation of loss prevention, completion of weekly inventory audits; maintenance of appropriate inventory levels based on menu needs, etc.
- Develop and maintain positive and professional relationships with students. Provide outstanding customer service and ensure specialty diets and other nutritional needs are met.
- Develop and maintain positive and professional working relationships with House Masters and other House personnel, students and other internal and external stakeholders. Participate in House Committees (HOCOs) as assigned.
- Sell, plan and execute simple to complex catered indoor and outdoor events including, but not limited to house events, campus-wide events and commencement week events.
- Ensure kitchen equipment (i.e.: dishwasher, ovens, refrigeration, exhaust and ventilation systems) is operational. Submits necessary requests for repair if necessary.
- Ensure Unit’s physical plant is organized and in good repair. This includes, but is not limited to: walls, ceilings, floors, storage and receiving areas, servery, kitchen space, dining rooms, etc. Submits requests for repair if necessary.
- Implement and manage Unit-specific sustainability goals and programs.
Ensure financial viability of assigned Unit through development and management of budget based on realistic goals. Ensure all financial related tasks are completed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Accountable for financial management of the Unit including developing and managing the annual operational budget which includes, but is not limited to management of MORS, estimation and management of food and labor cost goals, etc.
- Submit all invoices and PCard documentation per HUDS policy and procedure. Audit and review documents for accuracy prior to submission.
- Ensures all reporting is completed per University standards and all record-keeping is maintained in accordance with University policy.
- Encourages creative approaches to improved financial viability including cost reduction initiatives and other related efforts.
Typical Core Duties
- Responsible for effective staff management, including hiring and orientation, training and development, workflow and performance management, and the promotion of an inclusive and innovative work environment
- Lead front-of-house and back-of-house operations
- Assign and direct the work of a team of exempt, hourly and temporary staff to ensure the delivery of excellent service, address staff performance and recommend/deliver corrective actions as needed
- Manage the monitoring of the menu and inventory management systems including, but not limited to: ensuring cost control and mitigation of loss prevention, completion of weekly inventory audits; maintenance of appropriate inventory levels based on menu needs, etc.
- Ensure kitchen equipment and the physical plant is operational and clean; submit necessary request for repair if necessary
- Manage dining hall opening and closing procedures
- Solicit, sell, plan and execute catered events; develop and select catering menus in cost efficient, creative ways that meet the needs of the client
- Perform administrative duties, including inventory, payroll, budgeting, calendars, documentation, and ordering supplies
- Manage the development and implementation of relevant trainings to increase knowledge and ability of waiters, cooks and other kitchen staff
- Ensure high standards are consistently met with regard to quality assurance related to food, sanitation, equipment, facility maintenance and management and safety
- Ensure compliance with University policies and procedures and applicable legal rules and regulations
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required
- Minimum of 5 years’ relevant work experience
- Supervisory experience
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, intermediate Excel skills
- Strong communication (verbal, written, interpersonal) skills and an ability to communicate effectively with a diverse constituency
- Operational experience with industrial kitchen equipment (dishwasher, oven, ventilation systems, etc.)
- Operational experience with food service applications and computerized menu management systems
- Associates or Bachelor’s Degree.
- 5-7 years of related food service management experience.
- Strong record of business acumen including financial and human resource management.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver exceptional customer service.
- Strong communication (verbal, written, interpersonal) skills and an ability to communicate effectively with a diverse constituency.
- Strong time management, organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Ability to meet multiple deadlines and manage competing priorities.
- Good professional judgment and ability to independently make sound business decisions.
- Skilled at addressing a variety situations and negotiating successful outcomes with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Must be adaptable to a frequently changing environment and ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
- Works professionally, ethically and with integrity; Uphold the vision and mission of HUDS and the University.
- A passion for food and knowledge of current food trends.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Outlook, Excel).
- Operational knowledge of industrial kitchen equipment (dishwasher, oven, ventilation systems, etc.).
- Operational experience with a variety of food service applications and computerized menu management systems. Ability to learn and adapt to new systems and applications as needed.
- Ability to become ServSafe Certified within six months of employment.
- Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays and be on-call as needed.
- Position frequently involves long hours and widely diverse duties
- Must be able to lift (approximately 20 to 30 pounds), bend, stoop and perform other physical exertion
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to work evenings, weekends and holidays as needed
- Subject to wet floors, temperature extremes, and excessive noise
- Standing and walking for significant amounts of time is necessary
Job specific responsibilities cont.
Employee and Labor Management
Provide leadership and direction to a diverse team of exempt and unionized, non-exempt workforce. Develop and maintain a positive and collaborative working environment that promotes, open communication, consistency, fairness and opportunities for continuous learning while achieving the vision and mission of HUDS and the University.
- Develop and maintain positive, professional relationships with front line service staff via regular meetings, two-way communication, timely feedback, collaboration, and consistent visibility in the work unit.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with Union Shop Stewards.
- Interview candidates and hire based on approved staffing pattern. Complete probationary employee evaluation form as required.
- Ensures performance expectations and work rules are clearly communicated and implemented via regular coaching, mentoring and regular staff meetings. Conduct annual performance evaluation for exempt Unit staff.
- In consultation with Human Resources, imposes corrective action measures as needed while complying with the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and University policy and procedure.
- In collaboration with Human Resources and HUDS Management, ensures employment practices are compliant with the current Collective Bargaining Agreement and all University personnel policy and procedures.
- Participates in grievance hearings and arbitrations. Submits answers to grievances per the timelines outlined in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Ensure Kronos timekeeping system is accurately and regularly maintained. Process timecards and absence requests in a timely manner and per HUDS policy and procedure.
- Assist with the development and implementation of new policies, procedures and trainings.
- Associates or Bachelor’s Degree in Hospitality Management or related field.
- Previous experiencing managing a University dining services operation.
- Experience managing in a unionized environment.
- Knowledge of Kronos timekeeping software or similar system.
- Knowledge of FoodPro Menu Management system.
Emergency Status Designation: Essential Personnel
Hospitality & Dining Services
USA - MA - Cambridge
Y0057M FD Food Services Mgt III
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Criminal, Drug Testing, Education, Employment, Identity
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.